Let’s Talk Friends



I met this guy when I went to buy fruits at night so it was quite dark and we couldn't see each other clearly. We did exchange contacts though it was really awkward trying hold a conversation with him. His language was a bit too much for me to handle (in terms of vulgarity) and I almost yelled ‘language man!’

While chatting, he kept asking me for my pictures so he could see me properly and requested that we become friends.

I evaluated the ‘cost’ of having him as a friend and I said no. We had different value systems and I didn’t have the time to start correcting or aligning and keeping in touch. My final exams were only some weeks away, I had my project to think of and ‘friend issues’ and so many other things that were calling for my attention at the same time.

If however, we were of like minds, it may have been easier but the first impression was already a disaster and the other impressions after that…

I treasure my circle. The people I have in my life that I call friends.

My friends are people that really know me and counsel me (and vice-versa) and we can have those hard but real talks that usually correct the head when it begins to touch. We’re real and sincere. We share similar value systems and we sharpen each other’s intellect. We encourage each other. We share in our joys and pains. We pray for each other.


That’s why I differentiate people I know into acquaintances, friends, mentors and family. Not everybody I know or say hi to is my friend, for clarity sake.

Maintaining a friendship or any relationship at all requires an investment of time, energy and resources (physical, emotional, spiritual).

It’s a commitment; one that we shouldn't rush into.

Comments

  1. In developing one's self, having a friend can help you achieve goals, stay motivated and becoming really accountable, Biblical, for you to grow spiritually you would definitely need those who are like minded, Ec 4:9.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello!

Hope you were inspired by this post. Do feel free to comment, ask questions, and spread the word...

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Fighter

Dealing with Failure

When God Seems Distant