Study Time: Songs and Lamentations




I used to think that the book of Lamentations was all sad…
I used to think that the book of the Songs of Solomon (Song of Songs) was a no-no…

I’m actually beginning to see the Old Testament from a whole new light. I’ve been doing a study of the Bible for myself –digging deep- because I got tired of having someone tell me ‘WOW-ing stories and stuff’ from the Bible. I wanted to know it for myself… Why else would I have a Bible?!

It’s about God’s love for His people. His plan for our savior Jesus and us… intricately woven into every chapter of the masterpiece ‘stories’ of the Bible; told of in the Old Testament, fulfilled in the New and spilling over through the years into today and forever.

As I read Lamentations from the Message Translation, it felt like pure poetry, pure suffering yet pure life and hope. The book of the Song of Songs actually took me by surprise (I read it all through in one sitting… no breaks!); highlighting the purity and passion of love.

Lamentations isn’t a book quoted so often but it’s wonderful to explore. Though it’s filled with the woes of the Israelites in Babylonian captivity, it also tells a story of hope, of real pain and longing for the touch of the Master.

The author knew that God would never leave them (Lam.3:55-58, MSG).

Times come when we feel like throwing in the towel but if you could just hang on and see the plan through the pain, you’ll hope for joy and stick it through.

God won’t take you where He can’t lead you through.


So open that mystery book of yours and don’t be afraid to look into it, you’ll find much more than you expected and begin to wonder why you weren’t all this while. 

The Bible is a book that never gets old…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Fighter

Dealing with Failure

When God Seems Distant