Financial Education



Ten years ago, I wanted to be a computer engineer. Three years later, I said 'No, I want to be a journalist'. Like that was enough, I changed my mind and decided to be an accountant. Now, I'm working towards being a professional accountant wondering what I truly want to be. But I continued because I'm interested in it and was told to just get the degree and leave the rest because things are not as they were or possibly use it as a platform.

Nowadays, it's actually playing out isn't it? Nowadays, engineers are becoming bankers, lawyers are becoming secretaries and even doctors are becoming artists. So I can tell myself 'Hey! I can be anything right?!' Then I'd carry myself and start working anywhere and within some three or four years, I'll be a big shot... WRONG!

For some very few, fortunate and blessed individuals, it may have worked out but it's right that you acquire financial education too. Just as you acquired the standard (Nigerian) 6-3-3-4 education, you also have to gain technical and practical knowledge and experience about anything you're about to go into, big or small. This is the main emphasis of Robert Kiyosaki in his book, The Unfair Advantage.

What am I trying to say?
 

Get yourself acquainted with the reality of whatever interests you. Don't just rush in because that's how you'll rush out. Take out time and go through the ups and downs, the risks and uncertainties of it all. Get technical and practical education of your area of interest especially through apprenticeship or mentor-ship (working experience).

Most of all, learn to work with a feasible budget and SAVE. And you'll find things working out much better for you.

 Please feel free to share with us what you honestly think or your own experience. No man is an island or is he now?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Fighter

Dealing with Failure

When God Seems Distant